When a child is diagnosed with dystonia, parents may not know where to turn. There are Resources to Help You:
Resources and Materials for you to Share with Children:
- Download this dystonia poster for children.
- Request educational materials from the DMRF Canada, including a copy of Never Look Down, to help inform your child's teachers and school administrators. Consider the best way to help your child's friends and peers understand dystonia. Email: email@example.com to request your copy today.
Resources for Parents:
- Listen to this Webinar, developed for parents of children who have dystonia.
- Sign up for the upcoming live Webinar, taking place in October 2018
- Financial Resources, Credits, and Government Assistance Programs.
- Click here for details on dystonia, courtesy of About Kids Health, from the Hospital for Sick Children.
Resources for Teens
- Do you have a teenager that has been diagnosed? If so, click here for Resources for Teens with Dystonia
Meet Other Parents:
- Consider joining the DMRF Canada Facebook Group for Parents.
- The DMRF Can can try to individually match you with families with similar diagnoses, in your area of the country, and/or with children similar in age. Just ask! Or - Connect with other families in the dystonia community.
Pediatric Neurologist Listing:
- Consider consulting a pediatric neurologist with training in movement disorders or a movement disorder neurologist who treats children.Click here for a listing of specialists who treat children and teens with dystonia in Canada.
"As the Mother of two little boys who suffer from dystonia, I know firsthand the importance of a strong, supportive community for parents who are raising children with Dystonia. Having a network of other parents who understand the complex and unique challenges that children who suffer from dystonia face, throughout various stages of childhood is invaluable. Because of this network, I have discovered new strategies to help my boys, and have been able to learn about what to expect as they grow and change. But most importantly I have been offered support when I needed it.
On behalf of the DMRF Canada, we are very grateful to the Allergan International Foundation for their generous support of this very important initiative”
– Heather Connor, DMRF Canada Board Member.